Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Clean Reader

In my travels on the internet, I have come across some sort of app entitled 'Clean Reader'. (Well, more accurately, somebody else found it first and I found their post, but still.)

The idea behind Clean Reader is...meh. Basically, if you download it, you can pick your setting and it'll go through changing words to suit it. So 'fuck' becomes 'fudge' (or whatever). Personally, I don't want my reading material to be censored-somehow, 'oh my fudging god!' lacks something. But that's just me.

BUT apparently they don't have to ask permission to do this to *your* book. No copyright laws are being broken because-and I quote-'all Clean Reader does is change the way the content is displayed on screen'. (FAQ section of their website.)

Oh, HELL NO.

Look. Take...let's take Color Blind, shall we? Lots of swearing. But in that book, Nancy going, 'oh, fuck you' is the least of your problems. (Between 'fuck' and 'Cole is going through heroin withdrawal'...yeah.) If you don't want to read a book with curses, then you probably don't want to read Color Blind for lots of other reasons. As such, I would appreciate an 'opt out'. I'm sorry. I would. Those words were put there for a reason. Nancy and Cole are not the Cleavers, and editing their thoughts is indeed editing the story, even if you're not actively doing something to the word document I wrote it on.

Not okay.

-Lalla

PS: TWO MORE DAYS UNTIL THE MUSE BEGINS ITS FREE PERIOD! WHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment