Friday, December 13, 2013

Opinions

This has nothing to do with writing, The Muse, or...well, anything else. I witnessed something today that made my faith in humanity drop a couple of notches.

Whilst I was out poking through the neighborhood Goodwill, a Spanish-speaking couple went up to the register. Since this is Arizona, I didn't really notice-until the employee ringing them up started bitching that 'Well, this is America, we speak English!'

Jaw, meet floor.

I have never in my life seen such a display of blatant racism. I know it's there-the comment sections on the internet are rampant with it. But out in public, surrounded by loads of people-including some who may be from Mexico or Africa or wherever-that's new to me.

The little coward made a break for the stockroom right after-typical.

I do live in America. Everyone here is entitled to think whatever they want. If you want to be racist, there's no stopping you. That's your opinion, and you're allowed to have it. But I'm also entitled to my opinion, which is that your opinion is wrong.

I don't know. It was just vile and sad and very much not-good, and I wish I'd been close enough to him to call him on it.

That is all. Just something to think about.

-Lalla

No comments:

Post a Comment