Monday, February 11, 2013

The Terror of Writer's Block

Many things scare me. Cockroaches, the giant spider from Lord of the Rings (seriously, that thing was horrible!), getting a long-legged insect caught in my hair...
But there is one thing that is even worse than all of those things. Well, maybe excepting the giant spider.
WRITER'S BLOCK.
I think it should be renamed 'artist's block' because really, doesn't every creative person hit a roadblock at some point? My grandmother, who is a really fantastic artist, has this problem now and again. It sucks. Everyone who's ever tried to create something, be it a picture, a short story, or a song, has hit this problem. Doesn't it just make you wanna rip your hair out in frustration?
I'm just getting over a nasty bout of the stuff myself, brought on by a rather nasty math exam I had a couple of weeks ago, and it's slow going. The real horror of it is getting right back into the frame of mind I was in before it hit. I have to admit, I'm afraid I won't. Even though I know it's all turning out fine, I have this (hopefully irrational) fear that I slipped too far out of touch with the story and that it'll show that I had that little break. And that is what scares me the most.
Well, apart from the spider...

No comments:

Post a Comment